Tuesday, June 3, 2008

X

I next headed out to the lobby where Neale would be signing his books. I hadn't brought any of his works with me from Minnesota (I wasn't aware that there would be signings at the conference). I wasn't really up for spending 15 or 20 bucks for one of the two books of his that I don't have, so was content to sit in a chair near where he was signing and just soak up some of the good vibes. There were quite a number of people that were in line to get his John Hancock.

About 10 minutes later, my wife called stating that they were out in the turn-around ready to pick me up for dinner. I stated that I was looking at Neale this very instant. I didn't really want to leave the lobby just then, but knew I would be seeing him again the next day. I got into my brother-in-law's SUV (naughty boy!) and we headed out to Champps sports bar. I hadn't seen my wife's sister or husband in more than a year, so it was good to talk to them again. Since it was only about 4:30, the restaurant was relatively vacant. I ordered a caesar salad, hamburger, waffle fries, and topped it all off by sharing a chocolate chip cookie ice cream dessert with the Mrs. The four of us spent a decent amount of time talking after the meal.

Though I was missing Joan Borysenko's workshop, I was greatly looking forward to hearing James Van Praagh speak at 8 that evening. My girls' sister and hubby dropped us off a little after 6. We headed up to the room and made a-sexytime. No, we actually just changed clothes and watched some telly for a spell. I don't usually like Wheel of Fortune, but viewing it in HD was pretty bitchin'. Shortly thereafter, we headed downstairs. Van Praagh's discussion was going to be in the Grand Ballroom so that all could attend. The doors opened around 7:30 and we hurriedly found a seat. We ended getting a seat in the 7th row that was just off center. Very nice!

Now let me tell you how it was that I became familiar with James. In early 1998, I was working at Barnes & Noble and so was frequently up on what the best selling books of the day were. Several people came up to me over a period of a week or two asking about a book called "Talking to Heaven". They must've seen him on Larry King or something. The book wound up being a huge best-seller and was turned into a TV-movie starring Ted Danson which premiered to huge ratings (Dannion Brinkley's book "Saved by the Light" was also turned into a TV-movie starring Eric Roberts, Julia's sister).

I didn't buy "Talking to Heaven" when it was initially released. I finally got around to it when B&N had it for sale on the clearance shelfs a few years later (I bought his second book "Reaching to Heaven" the same way). Over the years, I've seen him numerous times on "Larry King" and have to admit that I am a great believer in what he does. He was apparently going to be doing some "I see dead people" readings during his workshop that evening. Should be a good time, I thought.

No comments: