Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I

This past weekend was one of the most profound of my life. My wife and I went to the Celebrate Your Life conference in Chicago, Illinois. Before I give details on it, let me give you some background. In the spring of 2007, I received an automated email from Neale Donald Walsch (the writer of "Conversations With God", my all-time favorite book) that he was going to be in Chicago that summer to give some talks. He was going to be giving an all-day workshop as well as a keynote talk. Some of my other favorite authors, such as Brian Weiss and James Redfield, were also gonna be there. My wife and I bought tickets and reserved a hotel room, but, twas not to be. Due to issues we were having at the time, we separated and it couldn't be arranged for either of us to go. Our tickets were given to others who hopefully got a lot out of going. Thus it was that I blew my chance to see NDW. You can imagine how heartened I was to find out that there was to be another Celebrate Your Life conference taking place this summer. With our relationship much stronger, we once again purchased tickets and reserved a hotel room where the conference was to take place.

And so it was that the wife and I left Minnesota in the late morning this past Friday. This one dude was gonna come visit our cat and dog three times each day we were gone. This would be much better than them getting kenneled. I brought plenty of music along to listen to in the car (I got a great deal at the pawn shop the day before. I love 70's and 80's music and found more than a dozen Time-Life CD's from that era available for only $1.50 each). We took my wife's brand new '08 Accord. It only had about 2,000 miles on it, but would have many more by the time the weekend was out. We made sure we had everything as we left. It was about a 6-hour drive.

I was surprised not to see much road construction as we sailed through Minnesota and into Wisconsin. Once we hit Illinois, however, there was plenty of it, not to mention having to stop and pay tolls what seemed like every 5 minutes. At one point, I realized we were on the wrong road, but quickly turned around and was once again on the "right" path. At about 5:30pm, with the sun shining brightly, we saw the hotel.


It was a state-of-the-art facility that had just opened about 9 months before. We found out during our stay that the normal price for a room was $270. Since we were attending the conference, we got it for a "mere" $149. After parking, the first thing we did was check into our room. The hotel is 18 stories and guess which one we were on? Yep, da 18th. As we waited to get our hotel keys, actually hotel cards (since they are shaped just like credit cards), I noticed a guy in the lobby talking who looked just like Dannion Brinkley. He's the bloke that I first saw profiled in the mid-90's on a show called Sightings. He was struck by lightning, crossed over, and during his time over there, had quite a few prophecies revealed to him. For more details, go here.

I was fairly certain it was him as he was scheduled to speak that weekend. After getting the "keys", we headed over to pick up our conference badges. We then headed up to our rooms and changed clothes. Deepak Chopra would be opening the conference with a keynote address at 7pm.

10 comments:

Brianinmpls said...

Damn brother it is good to see you back

Thomas said...

Thanks, Brian.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom!

It is good to see your smiling face again! I will have to come back and read this in phases when I have time. I'm currently swamped at work and haven't had much time for blogging.

Take good care of yourself!
-Prx

Thomas said...

Thank you much, Proxima! It's good to be back. I'm gonna head over to your website right now...

Sue Sunshine said...

Hello, Thomas,
I read this blog after you left the link in a comment on my blog, Sue's Snippets.

I love all the description and time you put into it.

I attended A CYL conference in Scottsdale, AZ in 2006 as well as an I Can Do It conference in Florida in 2005. I missed last year! *grin* I am looking forward to this year's CYL in Phoenix. They are going to be in a new facility there, also.

I would love to discuss the conferences with you in more detail sometime off blog.

Thank you for contacting me!
Blessings from my spirit to your spirit!
Sue, Author of
Life is Like Making Chocolate Chip Cookies
Weaving Dreams Publishing
Sue's Soul Glances

Thomas said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sue.

I was surprised myself at all the detail I was able to convey, especially since the only notes I drew from were the comments the toe reader gave me. The rest was memory.

You're sure to have a good time in Phoenix this fall. I'll already looking forward to going to the 2009 CYL in Chicago next summer.

My email address can be found on my profile page.

Good luck to you on your book!

Much love and light!!

Unknown said...

Wow! You know, the more I meet people on here, it truly reminds once again the commonalities we share. My soon-to-be wife also lived in Germany (Viellsecht) twice and misses it a lot. Myself, my parents had to move around during my early adolescent years. Tough. Still a midwesterner though who hasn't lost the accent. Lived in Michigan (five miles from U. of Notre Dame half my life nearly and now here for half.)

You and I certainly also share those bumps in the road. Huge Star Wars fan myself growing up and just simply amazed at this whole other world that appeared before my eyes. It was at this point I marveled at just how far one's imagination can go.

Honestly, I haven't read Deepak's books despite knowing his profound wisdom and influence is vast. I've read Paulo Coehlo's books, including his widely read "The Alchemist," that really are great instructional guides to self-fulfillment.

Look forward to seeing more from you. Chicago is still my favorite city, despite Boston as our desired location next year. Take care up there in Minnesota, another great state.

GoteeMan said...

after reading your post, I purchased two books by Deepak Chopra... and am enjoying them very much...

Thomas said...

Gotee, that's awesome! I'm enjoying visiting your blogs as well.

Brian Mongold said...

The picture of the facility is very nice. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Brian