Tuesday, June 3, 2008

XIX

One of the final questions asked served as a worthy conclusion to the weekend. A black woman said she had heard Marianne on the radio some time ago defending Don Imus and turned the device off immediately. After doing some thinking about it, she said she'd like Marianne to tell her what she missed. Those views can be found here.

The questioner was happy with the answer Marianne gave and shared a bit of her own personal story. Ms. Williamson said that before disbursing, we would participate in a group prayer that was related to the question that had just been asked. She had included it in her book "Illuminata" as a way to address the way that European Americans have treated black people over the centuries.

The first thing she did was ask all African-Americans to stand up (there were probably a dozen and a half). She then asked the person closest to each to stand up and hold the other's hands. Marianne then asked us to repeat the prayer, line by line (she actually had it committed to memory). I looked around the room and saw many getting emotional and could see how the power of the prayer affected not just the "victim", but also the "perpetrator".

While watching this, I couldn't help but think of something that enters my mind from time to time. I was thinking that perhaps one of the black people was once a white person who victimized the other while the white one could have once been abused as a black. It just made me realize that we're all the same and have probably done it all, been it all, seen it all. That's why it's good not to judge nor to condemn. I received the following group email from Neale this morning that addresses this issue specifically:

On this day of your life, dear friend, I believe God wants you to know that everything you see, hear, touch, taste, smell, or sense in any way is an aspect of Divinity. It is when you judge it to be something else that it shows up as something else in your life. Therefore, judge not, and neither condemn. For that which you judge, judges you; and that which you condemn will condemn you. Yet that which you see for what it really is will see you for what you really are. And therein will be found your peace.

Celebrate Your Life 2008 in Chicago ended shortly before 6pm that evening, the first of June. Marianne hung around for a bit to sign books and it is then when I snapped the following pic:



There were quite a number of people in line to get her signature. Neale and his companion went up to Marianne and talked to her for a few minutes at this time. You could really tell that they were old friends (in fact, I think I once read that Neale and Marianne knew each other in past lives). It was great to see two of the most inspiring authors I'd ever read conversing with each other.

And, at that, I was happy to begin the long trek home. The wife and I browsed by the books one last time and then headed for the hotel elevator that would take us to our parked car. Wouldn't you know it...Neale and his partner were walking about 20 feet in front of us heading for the elevator as well. My girl noticed this and asked if I wanted to speed up a bit so that we could share the same elevator. I was tempted, but declined. Let him enjoy his quiet time, I thought. He'd given so very much to so many of us over the past 48 hours.

No comments: